[GNC] Reconciliation discrepancies

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 18:52:12 EDT 2022

Rich,

One possible cause for this is a transaction (or more) accidentally entered
since the time you were last getting correct reconciliations at a date sometime
in the past. This has occurred for me sometimes when I have mistyped a date
entry, particularly the year, on entry. e.g date went in as 2020 not 2022.

If this were the case it will throw the account balances out wrt to any
statement. It is very unlikely for a bank to have an error in a statement (if
they did it would likely be a programming error which would produce errors in a
large number of customers statements which would normally be reported to them
fairly quickly, corrected and corrected statements reissued). Similarly an error
in GnuCash would likely cause a large number of people to be simultaneously
reporting reconciliation problems although since my bank only issues statements
every 6 months for personal accounts reconciliation is now a lot less frequent
for me than it was in the past when I still had business accounts.

If they haven't been marked as reconciled, any such transactions should appear
at the top of the debit or credit panes of the reconciliation dialogue and have
a date outside the range of the current reconciliation and they will not be
included in the sum for the starting balance for the present reconciliation
which could therefore appear to be correct but the closing balances in your
GnuCash account will be thrown out.

If somehow they had been marked as reconciled, they are not going to appear in
the debit and credit panes of the dialogue, but the starting balance should not
match the starting balance on the statement in this case.

Locating any transactions of this sort can be a time consuming business when and
if it does occur.

David Cousens