[GNC] Can't find the file sometimes

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 19:31:31 EDT 2022

Heide,

The recommended procedure when updating GnuCash from an old version to a newer
version is to first update to the last minor version of the major series number
, e.g. for 2.6 this is I think either 2.6.19 or 2.6.21 before up grading to the
3.x series. If you are up grading to version 4.xyou would upgrade to the last V3
minor version which was 3.11 before upgrading to the current version 4 minor
version.

After each upgrade to the next major version run the Actions->Check and Repair
procedure from the menu.  This will fix any data file problems  The reason for
this is that any changes in the datafile only occur at changes of the major
version. Each new major version will correct the data file from the previous
major version for any changes in format that have been made with a run once
procedure the first time the new version of GnuCash is run.

Your datafile location will remain at whatever location you saved it to
originally during any upgrades. You may have to use the File->Open procedure
from the menu to relocate it, if the location of the file is not automatically
rememberd by GnuCash following the upgrade.

That may not be the case for any stored or custom reports and user preferences.
The locations of these have sometimes had to be changed as a result of changes
to the underlying libraries that GnuCash uses and changes to the OS conventions.

Documentation on this can be found at
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/basics-migrate-settings.html#:~:text=GnuCash%20preferences%20are%20stored%20in,machine%20to%20migrate%20your%20preferences.&text=On%20Unix%20and%20macOS%20%2C%20these,display%20in%20the%20file%20manager
with more detail on the location changes for configuration, reports  and user
preference data at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations  for each GnuCash version
on each of the operating systems it is used on. There are some diagrammatic
representations for Linux, Windows and MacOSX linked about halfway down the page
which you may find easier to follow than the more formal definitions of the
locations on the page.

For the stored and custom reports you may need to copy any that you have saved
from the location specified for the previous version to the location specified
for the newer version for your operating system.
Once you are confident you have access to all your saved or custom reports you
can usually delete the locations the data was stored in in the previous version
you have just updated from.

David Cousens