[GNC] Setting currency on share accounts

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 23:56:33 EDT 2022

Securities (stocks) are held in brokerage accounts which reside under
assets.  The brokerage account determines the currency for it's securities
and transactions.  GnuCash assumes that a given brokerage account deals in
only one currency, so another brokerage account is needed for an additional
currency.  The same security can be held in multiple brokerage accounts.
See the help and tutorials for examples of accounts and transactions.

Prices get entered into the price data by several means including actual
prices from transactions, prices downloaded from the Internet or imported
from a file, or even manually entered into the database.

Reports can pick prices out of the price data by different algorithms
depending on your choice.  If there is no price for a given report date
GnuCash will use the method you choose to pick or calculate a price for the
report.

I am deliberately not being detailed because there is a huge universe of
choices depending on your needs.  If you have specific questions ask them
here to get specific answers.

On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 10:12 PM Phillip Duff <phil.duff7 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I cannot see where you set the currency for a stock account. I have stocks
> in multiple currencies, but the currency/secuity field seems dual purpose,
> therefore assumes the stock is in base currency, which is not always the
> case.
>
> Anyone know how to do it?
>
> Also, I can’t fund in the documentation whether the system uses the latest
> price/currency in the price database or does it require the price to exist
> for the day on which it is being calculated. Example: If the latest price I
> have in the price database is on 14-MAr will the system use this price to
> calculate value on the 31-Mar
>
> Cheers Phil

David Carlson