[GNC] Gnucash

davidcousens49 at gmail.com davidcousens49 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 18:25:52 EDT 2022

James

You haven't really given us much information to go on to help you. What
operating system are you using and what version of Gnucash did you install. If
you run GnuCash it will tell you the version number in the splash window at
startup or as usual Help ->About will list the information. It would appear you
ar using Windows but we can give more specific help if we know what operating
system you are using

GnuCash will create a datafile in memory if you start it up without specifying a
specific file. You will need to use the File->Save As menu item to create an XML
datafile on disk or to save to a database file (sqlite3, mysqletc) if you are
using the database backend ( not a godd idea except perhaps the sqlite3 unless
you are familiar with database management.  GnuCash will place the data file in
your home directory at wahtever location you specify using File->Save As. It is
usually a good idea to create a sub-directory specifically to contain the
GnuCash data files as GnuCash creates backup and log files (these have a
datetime stamp before the .gnucash file extension after the filename you give
it) each time you open it in the same directory as the datafile.

GnuCash is a full double entry accounting system. If you don't know what this
means you really need to read the introductory chapter (Basics ) of the Tutorial
Guide and the Getting Started section of the Help manual. The Help manual will
show you how to setup a chart of accounts and perform the common operations.
GnuCash is not a follow your nose application on a phone. The file Import
instructions in the Guide are out of date and not correct (currently being
replaced) and the Help manual Ch 6 has complete and current instructions on
importing data from other programs and bank downloads.

Where possible try posting a series  screen captures of the problem you are
facing. We them have a better idea of where you are, particularly until you
become familiar with the terminology used in GnuCash to describe the various
components.

Good Luck

David Cousens