[GNC] Third party OFX/CVS providers

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:47:45 EDT 2022

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 17:39 Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:

> My current bank (US, Hancock Whitney) unfortunately does not provide
> account data in a digital format other than monthly PDF statements for
> personal accounts. I know third-party programs, such as YNAB (ynab.com),
> can get access my bank while I can't, but I don't want the baggage that
> comes with it.

I changed my mind. I now have an YNAB account and found that is has a
well-documented API. Not only that, I was able to link it successfully to
my two banks and access my checking, savings, and credit card transactions!
It might be possible to use the API to periodically download bank and
credit card transactions into YNAB's standard JSON format, then convert
that into the OFX format, and then upload the OFX into GnuCash.

I'm proceeding on the project with the hope of success. If anyone is
interested in following it, the Raku (formerly Perl 6, see https://raku.org)
module skeleton is on my Github repo now at
https://github.com/tbrowder/API-YNAB.git. (Note I may soon change the title
to something like YNAB2OFX or YNAB-OFX--suggestions are very welcome.)

The downside, assuming I have success, is that YNAB has a subscription fee
of about $15 per month plus tax (cancel any time) or $100 plus tax a year,
sums well worth it if I can get a periodic good OFX-to-GnuCash import.

Best regards,

-Tom