[GNC] Third party OFX/CVS providers

Chris Good goodchris96 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 6 09:51:24 EDT 2022

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 19:47:45 -0500
> From: Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com>
> To: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Third party OFX/CVS providers
>
>> On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 17:39 Tom Browder <tom.browder at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> My current bank (US, Hancock Whitney) unfortunately does not provide
>> account data in a digital format other than monthly PDF statements for
>> personal accounts. I know third-party programs, such as YNAB (ynab.com),
>> can get access my bank while I can't, but I don't want the baggage that
>> comes with it.
>>

> I changed my mind. I now have an YNAB account and found that is has a
> well-documented API. Not only that, I was able to link it successfully to
> my two banks and access my checking, savings, and credit card transactions!
> It might be possible to use the API to periodically download bank and
> credit card transactions into YNAB's standard JSON format, then convert
> that into the OFX format, and then upload the OFX into GnuCash.
>
> I'm proceeding on the project with the hope of success. If anyone is
> interested in following it, the Raku (formerly Perl 6, see https://raku.org)
> module skeleton is on my Github repo now at
> https://github.com/tbrowder/API-YNAB.git. (Note I may soon change the title
> to something like YNAB2OFX or YNAB-OFX--suggestions are very welcome.)
>
> The downside, assuming I have success, is that YNAB has a subscription fee
> of about $15 per month plus tax (cancel any time) or $100 plus tax a year,
> sums well worth it if I can get a periodic good OFX-to-GnuCash import.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tom

Hi Tom,

Can you copy the text out of the pdf statement?
If so, you could probably write a spreadsheet macro to create a csv, ofx or qif file to import. Alternatively, if you are on Linux, use some scripting language like Perl or awk.
If you use Finance::Quote to import market prices, you already have Perl installed.

Regards, Chris Good