[GNC] transfe money from one account to another

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Aug 7 18:30:28 EDT 2022

On 8/7/2022 5:43 PM, James Baxter via gnucash-user wrote:
> Yes, I see some people show yooou how to transfee money from one acc (Checking acc to Saving Acc)so when in that place. i am watching one person do that, but I dont see all of what he is doing.
> the same page where you place your spending, but I dont see how you get the account on the page.
>
> I start with the checking acc, as i wish to place $25.00 into my saving account to keep the bank from charging me .so am I missing something. you need an account in there, But where.
> ThanksJames Baxterkangaroo52 at yahoo.com

You are doing this in your checking account account (the gnucash account
for your checking account. You start the normal way, transaction date,
probably no check number << in the old days there would have been >> a
description of the reason for the transfer, and the amount, in the right
hand or credit column. Then you get to select from drop down the other
account, the debit side of this transaction. You select the savings
account account (the gnucash account for your savings account). Then you
hit enter to complete entering this transaction.

Let me ask you a question. Suppose you were buying some books with a
check (or debit card transaction). How would you enter that? In that
case the account on the debit side would be the expense account "books".
What's different?

You could also have done the transfer starting in the savings account.
There you would be entering the amount in the debit column and selecting
checking account for the credit side.

Michael D Novack