[GNC] Tax Accounting for Trust Income Received in Following Fiscal Year

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 23:33:40 EDT 2022

Despite the example in my previous post, I'm inclined to just manage the
share portfolio value rather than the shares by revaluing annually as
described in
https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v4/C/gnucash-guide/capgain_example1.html#capgain_exampleunrealized2
. It involves an Income:Unrealized Gains transaction and I'd prefer not to
generate that under income. How does revaluation work when shares are set
up directly? I can't see an Income:Unrealized Gains transaction.

Chris,

Firstly, thank you for demonstrating the split for Gross Distributions +
Tax Paid/Offsets = Gross Attribution + Cost base adjustment.
The funny-money is clearly shown as an "adjustment".

I still don't understand the benefit you see by recording the Attribution
components rather than the fewer Tax items. The Gross Attribution value is
the same so it will still balance. I suspect you might be aiming to combine
this with other investments, say share franking at item 13Q. Even so, a Tax
item could still be part of the calculation.

[image: VAS-annual-tax-statement-2018_Markup.png]

I should be close to dumping the spreadsheet and just printing financial
statements now.