[GNC] How to bulk import about 130 Securities entries?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 16 04:28:25 EDT 2022

Jim,

As you continue down this project, consider how you want to handle
various aspects of accounting for stocks and mutual funds--particularly,
how you want to manage tax-related transactions, such as dividend
income, capital gains income, etc. With that many commodities, you will
want to get your thoughts in order before you begin the import/create
process.

For example, you may wish to track dividends and gains by individual
commodity, which may be easier to manage with separate income accounts.
Or, you may opt to track your income by brokerage account and tax status
(I use this method). Or you may not want that detail at all. The
decision is yours, but it is easier to get it right first, rather than
have to alter the transactions and account structure after the fact.
(Note that with GnuCash, you *can* change any and all such structures
after the fact; it's just less convenient.)

For clarity, my method is to use per-brokerage aggregated income accounts:

Income
- Dividends
- - Taxable Dividends
- - - Brokerage Acct A
- - - Brokerage Acct B
- - NonTaxable Dividends
- - - Brokerage Acct C
- - - Brokerage Acct D

With capital gains, I additionally have separate income accounts for
short term and long term gains, since they need to be tracked separately
in my tax realm.

Another thing to consider: how do you want transaction descriptions to
appear in your books? Many exported transactions use generic
descriptions("Dividend", "Realized Gain/Loss", etc.). You may decide
that it is worth modifying the incoming data to be more descriptive (for
example, "AAPL Dividend"), so that the information in your books is
sensible to you.

Best,

David T.