[GNC] How to bulk import about 130 Securities entries?

flywire flywire0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 23:13:36 EDT 2022

I haven't used GnuCash securities before the last week and I'm still not
clear about them. I understood importing security entries were
transactions. Further to my last post with minimal security information the
fraction traded is not required.

I hadn't realised importing transactions with securities was failing
because the securities hadn't been created. Anyway, that's done now.

File, Import, Transactions from CSV
Next, PP-Demo_Transactions.csv, Next
Multi-split, DateFormat, Leading Lines to Skip 1,
 Date, Description, Action, Account, Deposit, Price
Next
Map Account ID to Account Name, Next, Next

In contrast to importing accounts from csv, which runs nicely, the header
line is not recognised. The mapping process is still a meaningless chore
that would be worth automating.

Unfortunately, it fails on security capital gains as shown in the
screenshot, so the imbalance has to be manually moved back to the security.
With that, the portfolio is fully loaded.

[image: image.png]