[GNC] Saving Gnucash data and back ups

dsamoluk at shaw.ca dsamoluk at shaw.ca
Tue Aug 16 14:33:26 EDT 2022

I am new to Gnucash and have a few questions regarding saving data.  I use
Windows 10 and Gnucash Version: 4.11 Build ID: 4.11+(2022-06-25)

1.	I would like to save everything in one folder named Gnucash.  I
think I will use the xml format.  Currently it seems there are files in
three different folders.
		How do I make sure to save everything to one folder?

2.	Can I move everything I have (which is in 3 different folders) to a
folder named Gnucash without harm to the data I have entered.  (I previously
had entered data for 2021, then deleted a bunch of files and most of the
data disappeared.  The file types were text and gnucash financial data)

3.	How long do you need to keep the different files?
		Are there certain files needed to keep the data in the
Gnucash system?  I have looked at the FAQ but still not clear.

4.	When you click the save button when entering transactions, how do
you know where it is being saved to?  I'd like it to be saved in Gnucash
folder, as indicated above.

5.	Back ups - I have read a lot about the back ups but still unsure
what to do.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks all
Donna