[GNC] Saving Gnucash data and back ups

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Aug 16 21:00:40 EDT 2022

On 8/16/22 1:33 PM, dsamoluk at shaw.ca wrote:
> I am new to Gnucash and have a few questions regarding saving data.  I use
> Windows 10 and Gnucash Version: 4.11 Build ID: 4.11+(2022-06-25)
>
> 1.	I would like to save everything in one folder named Gnucash.  I
> think I will use the xml format.  Currently it seems there are files in
> three different folders.
> 		How do I make sure to save everything to one folder?

What other folders are you referring to? Where your preferences & custom
report configurations are saved? If so, those can't be changed short of
re-writing that part of the code and compiling a custom version as they
are hard coded. But your data file can be saved wherever you please.

> 2.	Can I move everything I have (which is in 3 different folders) to a
> folder named Gnucash without harm to the data I have entered.  (I previously
> had entered data for 2021, then deleted a bunch of files and most of the
> data disappeared.  The file types were text and gnucash financial data)

See above. I'm not sure what 'other' files or folders you are referring
to. GnuCash doesn't use txt files as far as I'm aware. Your data file
(and backups) have a .gnucash extension. Backups also have a date/time
stamp in the file name.

If you have a backup handled by Windows, I'd try to restore those files
and then be more careful in the future.

> 3.	How long do you need to keep the different files?
> 		Are there certain files needed to keep the data in the
> Gnucash system?  I have looked at the FAQ but still not clear.

I'm going to hazard a guess you're asking about backup and log files
which are stored in the same folder as your main data file. How long you
keep them is up to you. There is a preference to set a number of days
and GnuCash will automatically clean up after itself. Or you can do so
manually.

Of course, you likely don't want to delete your main .gnucash data
file(s) and you'd likely not want to delete any files in the
configuration locations without some good reason.

See the Wiki FAQ about file locations for more info:

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Basics:_Filenames.2C_Directories.2C_...

> 4.	When you click the save button when entering transactions, how do
> you know where it is being saved to?  I'd like it to be saved in Gnucash
> folder, as indicated above.

It gets saved wherever you last saved it and most recently opened it from.

So if you saved your file in a folder called 'gnucash' then that's where
it is saving to every time you manually save with the button.

If you want to move the file, the best thing to do is File > Save As and
store it in your new location, then in Windows Explorer, delete the
original location.

GnuCash will remember where the file is and the last one used, so then
you don't need to navigate to your data folder first, just start GnuCash
and your last data file (possibly your only one) will be loaded by default.

> 5.	Back ups - I have read a lot about the back ups but still unsure
> what to do.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The wiki has plenty of info about file and configuration locations and
making backups.

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Questions_about_Backups

Backup strategies are usually something handled at the Operating System
level for the whole system, not just GnuCash. Windows has a backup app,
and there are plenty of (much better) apps you can use, even free apps.
A web search will easily turn them up.

One feature you might want to strongly consider is the ability to
restore individual files from a backup similar to 'Back In Time' from
Linux, or 'Time Machine' from Mac. (unless Microsoft has finally tiptoed
into the 21st century, I'm not certain their backup app included by
default allows you to restore individual files. I think you have to
'roll back' the entire system to the backup state, but I could be mistaken.)

Regards,
Adrien