[GNC] Confusing and inconsistent headers in transaction entry and report forms

Peter S. Shenkin shenkin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 15:46:44 EDT 2022

Hi, here is THE ANSWER. It is a Guncash bug.

The previous report was obtained on MacOS 11.6.8 (Big Sur). This gave the
credits and debits mislabeled in the transaction report.

I have access to another mac running 10.16.2 (Catalina). Running the SAME
version of Gnucash (4.11) on the SAME dataset that I used for my single
text transaction, the transaction report, which is attached, is correct.
Debits and credits are reported in the correct columns.

Thus, Gnucash works properly in Big Sur but not in Catalina, at least for
the sub-versions I have access to.

For all I know, in subsequent versions of MacOS, things might again work,
but the two macs I have access to are both at the most recent versions of
MacOS that the respective hardware permits.

-P.

On Tue, Aug 16, 2022 at 1:55 PM Peter S. Shenkin <shenkin at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> debit to a cash account properly increased the cash balance. So I do not
>> see how it is possible to conclude that the transactions were in any way
>> entered incorrectly.
>>
>> It is only in the transaction report where the debits are mislabeled as
>> credits and vice versa.  I do not see how this could be the fault of the
>> way I entered the transactions, which modify the account balances concerned
>> in the proper manner.
>>
>> I understand that there are other ways of entering transactions. But you
>> did say, regarding the way I entered them, that "this works". In fact I
>> think the information in the first paragraph above validates the stronger
>> assertion that "this, in fact, has worked properly for my transactsions." .
>> But if you see a way I could possibly be wrong about that, please do
>> suggest what it might be.
>>
>> I agree that nobody we have heard from has had the same problem. But
>> there it is. If you have a suggestion for anything I might try that could
>> cast light upon this, please do let me know.
>>
>> One more thing. IIRC, I originally created the account using Gnucash 4.6
>> and later switched to 4.11. But I do not know whether the same problem
>> appeared when I was using 4.6. I'm skeptical whether this could be involved.
>>
>> Best,
>> -P.

>>> have
>>> transaction
>>> sort
>>> me.)

>>> are
>>> is
>>> misleading,
>>> available
>>> reversed
>>>
>>> Peter,
>>>
>>> This seems to be counter to everyone else's experience with GnuCash and
>>> definitely is not what occurs in the transaction report in GnuCash 4.11
>>> on Linux
>>> Mint 20.3.  I suspect if it was occurring specifically on either a
>>> MacOSX or
>>> Windows systems we would have a large number of experienced users (and
>>> some of
>>> us are accountants and pretty pedantic about such aspects) complaining
>>> pretty
>>> loudly.  So we need to work out why your experience is completely
>>> opposite to
>>> everyone else's or whether it is just a misinterpretation of what is
>>> being
>>> displayed in the transaction report. In the transaction Report options
>>> there is
>>> an option in the Display tab to display one transaction per line or one
>>> split
>>>  per line.  Using the second option one split  per line, both debit and
>>> credit
>>> entries for the transaction will be displayed  but entries not to the
>>> accounts
>>> selected in the transaction report will be in the second(and subsequent
>>> for transactions with more than two splits) and the different selected
>>> account
>>> entries will be listed in sections with the account name at the head. The
>>> transaction report is possibly the most general of the reports and is
>>> highly
>>> customizable from the report options

>>> it
>>> If I
>>> either the
>>> or
>>> total
>>> credit
>>>

>>> While this works, A balance sheet, depending on the report options may
>>> not show
>>> all the accounts in your chart of accounts so it is limiting in which
>>> accounts
>>> you can choose to open. How you open the register tab for an account
>>> does not
>>> affect the order of display of the lines as it invokes the same routine
>>> to open
>>> the register. Double clicking on the icon for the account (looks a bit
>>> like the
>>> front of a colonial bank) in the Accounts tab will give you access to
>>> all non-
>>> hidden accounts (hidden accounts can be found with the Edit->Find Account
>>> dialogue).

>>> involved
>>> be
>>> order
>>>
>>> This is not necessarily the case. If you open an existing transaction in
>>> an
>>> asset register in either Auto-split or Transaction Journal mode if it is
>>> credit transaction to the asset register (eg a bank account), the entry
>>> to the
>>> account for the register which is open will appear on the last line not
>>> the
>>> first. On the other hand if it is a transaction which debits an open