[GNC] Accounting Equation Mismatch for Foreign Currency/Security

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sat Aug 27 12:15:40 EDT 2022

That's how GnuCash works.

Your issue as David pointed out is that you want (or have a need to)
record *unrealized* gains/losses. Usually, most people only record a
gain or loss after a transaction, not just after a 'price change' on
some listing. The price you paid remains the price (your basis) until
you sell, at which point you then either realize a gain or loss. Only at
buy and sell transactions does the value of your holding really change.

Yes, some people live in jurisdictions that require a 'mark to market'
type approach for some investments, but even that is only at a
particular point in time for legal/tax filings, not on a daily basis.

Those adjusting transactions have to be done manually in any case as
David noted.

If you really want to track daily 'what if' performance of an
investment, use a spreadsheet or other tool. GnuCash is designed to
record the real accounting transactions when you buy or sell.

Regards,
Adrien