[GNC] Lot Calculator Off?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 3 04:34:29 EST 2022

John,

Thanks for the reply. I went back and re-entered all of the transactions
again and this time it (mostly) came out as you have indicated. Not sure
how I got into the rabbit hole I was in...

For what it's worth, the "separate" sales were the result of the lot
manager's splitting of a single sale into separate splits. While I
understand the programming necessities behind this approach, it renders
some accounts nearly incomprehensible when comparing to a financial
institution's records, as the GnuCash user is forced to examine (and
tally) multiple GnuCash sales and gains entries to determine whether the
GnuCash books match the bank's. When a given transaction is split into
two or three separate sales/gains entries, the burden is (mostly)
manageable; when a single sale gets split into 6 or more such entries
(as can happen with mutual funds with regularly-reinvested dividend
entries), it is significantly more difficult to manage. Since most
institutions simply report the aggregate sale and gain, it would be nice
if there were a way to mimic this in GnuCash.

David T.