[GNC] Lot Calculator Off?

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Dec 2 13:31:23 EST 2022

> On Dec 2, 2022, at 1:06 AM, David T. via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> GnuCash 4.11 on Windows 10
>
> As the end of the year approaches, I am working to get all my accounts up to date, and I've stumbled across an apparent error in capital gains calculations in the Lot manager. I am attaching a screenshot of the problem I am seeing. If you add up the sales prices and the gains, they are off from the original purchase price by $4.20. The second sales loss has seemingly failed to account for the first calculation for some reason, and the resulting amounts differ from the financial institution by the same $4.20.
>
> Since I used the lot manager to handle all of the gains calculations, I'm at a loss for determining why or how I've achieved this erroneous result. Not sure if the table below will display correctly, but the numbers are there for reference.
>
> Best,
>
> David T.
>
> 	Amount 	Gain(Loss) 	Sale with Gain/Loss
> Purchase cost 	$ 230.96
> Sale 1 	$ 140.15 	$(4.20) 	$ 144.35
> Sale 2 	$78.44 	$(12.37) 	$90.81
> 			$ 235.16 	Total
> 			$(4.20) 	Difference

Combining the info in the image with your table, I think you have three transactions:

								Shares	Price		Debit	Credit
Purchase:							        8      28.87	230.96
Sale 1								5	28.03			140.15
Sale 2								3	26.1467			  78.44

The loss on the first is 5 * 0.84 = 4.20 and on the second 3 * 2.7333 = 8.17.  12.37 - 8.17 = 4.20.
12.37 / 3 = 4.1233, implying a sale price of 24.7467 and so proceeds of $74.24.

Check your statement or sale ticket for the second sale to see which number you entered wrong.

Regards,
John Ralls