[GNC] New user: how to migrate Quicken checking account as a single, flat, checking account

Ken Pyzik pyz01 at outlook.com
Sun Dec 4 11:18:38 EST 2022

Scott -- Forgive me if I misinterpreted your request -- but if I am reading it correctly, what you describing is not in line with the way GNU-Cash works.

You see GNU-cash works as a double-entry (two-sided) accounting system.  What that means is that for every transaction - there must be an opposite and equal counter-transaction.  Let me give you an example:

If I purchase groceries with a check, in the GNU-Cash world, there will exist at least two transactions.  One (a debit to my checking account - which decreases the balance); and a  second counter-transaction which will post the credit.  In many cases, you might have an expense account called - Expenses: Groceries.  That accounts balance will increase by the amount you just purchased.  To make this more concrete, let's use an example:

Balance in Checking Account:  $220
Balance in Expense Groceries Account: $0

You go to the store - purchase $50 in groceries - and write check 1001 for $50, reducing your checking account balance to $170.

Transaction in the Checking register:
Date            | NUM| Description                 | Transfer                   |Deposit |Withdrawal| Balance |
12/4/2022 |  1001| Local Grocery Store  |Expenses:Groceries |              |           50.00|    170.00|

Meanwhile, this transaction has also generated a separate equal and corresponding transaction in the Expenses"Groceries account that looks like this:
Date            | NUM| Description                 | Transfer                   |Expense |Rebate| Balance |
12/4/2022 |  1001| Local Grocery Store  |Expenses:Groceries |     50.00|             |    50.00|

So every transaction has a separate and equal "counter-transaction".  In this way, everything remains in balance.

So you see, the reason you are seeing so many accounts is because each category that you spend on will have a separate account.  The nice thing about this, is that if you want to know how much you spent on any separate area (groceries, utilities, etc.) you will always have a separate account which shows how much you have spent.

As I said, I hope this helps explain why you are seeing what you are seeing.  You should just have one account (register) for your checking account.  The other accounts are all the counter expense (or deposit) accounts.

Ken