[GNC] New user: how to migrate Quicken checking account as a single, flat, checking account

Ken Farley farleykj at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 11:29:39 EST 2022

This is a common concern whenever someone (including me) is migrating to
Gnucash. As is noted elsewhere, it's a conceptual change based on
Quicken Category => Gnucash Account. What I realized when I converted
years and years of data over is just how terrible I was at maintaining
some sort of consistency in Categories. I'd have dozens of accounts,
each with maybe one or two transactions, that all were basically the
same thing. They were likely the result of typing errors or "eh, I'll
fix it later" transaction entries.

Once I had converted all my data, I found that it was much easier to
organize the accounts that were categories into a reasonable structure.
It takes a bit of work, but it is nice to have "clean" accounts without
the weird random categories I had in Quicken.