[GNC] New user: how to migrate Quicken checking account as a single, flat, checking account

Fred Bone Fred at mandfb.me.uk
Sun Dec 4 12:55:50 EST 2022

On 04 December 2022 at 11:54, Scott Traurig said:

> I do understand double-entry accounting and that it is the GnuCash
> paradigm.
>
> What I didn't understand is that on the import GnuCash did create the
> requisite checking account, plus all the expense accounts. I did not see
> the checking account as it was lost in a sea of expense accounts.
>
> Now that I've gotten that far, is there any way to move accounts en masse
> into a top level "Expenses" account? Or do I have to laboriously edit each
> and every one?

What *might* work is to delete the unwanted accounts.

When you delete an account, Gnucash will ask what you want to do with the
transactions in it. You can move them to another (already existing)
account. This will let you (for example) consolidate the grocery
transactions, with 17 different vendors, into one "Expenses:Grocery"
account.

If you really want all the expenses in a single account then I suggest
you don't want an accounting system and Gnucash is not the solution you
are looking for.