[GNC] New user: how to migrate Quicken checking account as a single, flat, checking account

Scott Traurig scott.traurig at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 13:15:41 EST 2022

Nope, sorry, you gents did not understand my question.

I don't have any unwanted accounts. Indeed, all of my categories in Quicken
were well thought out and organized, and well replicated as separate
expense accounts in GnuCash via the import process.

But with some 100 different, well organized and well thought out expense
accounts, I don't want them all at the top level, which is where GnuCash
puts them upon import.

In the GnuCash paradigm, I now have top level placeholder accounts for
assets, liabilities, income and expenses. For income, assets and
liabilities it was not much of a chore to move those few accounts that were
imported to be under their proper, respective placeholders in
the hierarchy. But now I need to move all 100 or so expense accounts,
intact, from the top level to underneath the top level, placeholder expense
account. That's a huge PITA if I have to edit the properties of each one
individually. Drag and drop would be a modern UI method for this, alas it
does not exist in GnuCash.

Is there an easy way to do this, or just grunt it out?

Thanks,

Scott