[GNC] searching for inventory tags -- bind keys -- best ways

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Sun Dec 4 15:48:53 EST 2022

I buy and sell things, tracking the cost of goods sold, and each item or quantity of identical items gets an alphanumeric tag Like
CCB, CCD, CCD, etc.  After I make a sale with an invoice I sometimes do several more sales, then expense cost of goods sold for
all of them.

I put the inventory tag in the description on an invoice, but that does not show in the receivables account.

Is there a good way to search for tags so I can find all matching entries for a tag?  I use <ctl>f a lot, which gives me by
default the description to search on and seems to not depend on selecting a line in an account -- it works to find a tag in assets
even if expense is selected.  It won't find a tag in an invoice though, and the entry for an invoice in accounts receivable does
not include the description line so it does not match there either.  AR entries are not editable, so I cannot go and put the tag
there after posting an invoice.

So, my general question is:  "Do you know a good way to search for inventory tags so as to make sure COGS has been expensed, and
see the sale as a search result?"

If I search on memo, and have the tag in all the memo lines the search results are pretty good for checking my work.

Is there a way to create bind keys like the  <ctl>f for search on description?
I'd like one for search on memo...

PS:  since posing these questions, I've looked more at memo lines and find that AR payment memo lines *ARE* editable.  So now I
will be adding my inventory tags to those AR memo lines when doing a payment , or after!

Any other ideas for doing inventory well?