[GNC] Reconciling credit card

Fred Bone Fred at mandfb.me.uk
Sun Dec 11 07:19:06 EST 2022

On 11 December 2022 at 12:03, Mahon Finbar said:

> OK, I have columns marked payment; charge; and balance.

I find these non-formal labels confusing.

> I translated them as payment to the bank/credit card company; spend on the
> credit card and the balance after entries in one or the other.
>
> Do I change the headings? or am I in the wrong sort of register or type of
> a/c? or are the entries in the wrong place?

In the "credit card" account:
When you buy something, the amount should be in the Credit column, the
one headed "Charge". This will increase the "Balance".
When you pay the provider from your bank account, the amount should be in
the Debit column, the one headed "Payment". This will reduce the
"Balance".

In an Expense account, the amount (relating to the thing you bought) will
be in the Debit column, which I see gets headed "Expense". This increases
the "Balance".

In a Bank account, the amount (relating to paying off your credit card)
will be in the Credit column, informally headed "Withdrawal". This
reduces the "Balance".