[GNC] Reconciling PayPal

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Tue Dec 13 02:09:22 EST 2022

Someone mentioned reconciling their PayPal account. Is there a way to do
this for anything other than the last transaction? I don’t seem to be able
to display a balance at any point in the past. So if I wanted to know the
balance on the first of July, I don’t see a way of finding it.

I am trying to enter transactions from the start of my financial year, but
I can’t find a way of finding the balance at any particular moment in time.

I was looking yesterday and were baffled by transaction that involved
buying postage through eBay with PayPal.

Purchase postage @ £0.48
another transaction with a similar implication, but for -£0.48. But it
doesn’t appear to be a refund. £0.48 was withdrawn from my bank account.

I *think* what the account is showing is that the £0.48 was paid for
postage, then £0.45 was withdrawn by eBay (not me). But overall I find
following what is actually happening in the PayPal account is very
difficult, and unless I am mistaken, reconciling would be a very painful
experience. I can not really see how the reconcile tool in GnuCash would
help much.

Does anyone know of a way of getting the balance in the account at a
certain time in the past? Does anyone find the reconcile tool in GunCash
helpful with PayPal?

 Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom