[GNC] Mutual fund price computation incorrect

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:11:38 EST 2022

GnuCash uses that factional expression for security prices because it is
actually more accurate than the floating point alternative that we humans
are used to seeing.
It has been using that form for some time now, but I recall when the change
was made there were several complaints in this maillist before the setting
to show numbers the common way was implemented.  That was difficult at the
time because the numbers must still be actually stored as fractions.
If you enter that fractional number into a calculator you will see that the
display is usually the same as the number expressed decimally, but there is
actually a rounding error which can sometimes propagate to a large value in
some computations.  That is why GnuCash will allow us mortals to select a
setting to see the numbers in the form that we learned in elementary school.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 2:06 PM David H <hellvee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes it's the Preferences >> Numbers, Date, Time >> Force Prices to display
> as decimals checkbox I think although mine is unchecked and I'm not seeing
> any issues :-)
>
> Cheers David H.
>

> On Wed, 14 Dec 2022 at 05:58, David T. via gnucash-user <
> gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> > There's a setting to force decimal display that somehow is changed on the
> > new installation.
> >
> > ⁣
> > David T.​
> >
> > On Dec 13, 2022, 22:31, at 22:31, Dean Jagels <blubugeye at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > >I recently moved from a native installation of GnuCash 4.2 to a
> > >Flatpack
> > >installation of 4.12.
> > >
> > >Now, when I look at my mutual fund transactions, the prices are all odd
> > >arithmetic formulas that show no relation to the input shares and
> > >buy/sell
> > >numbers, and those formulas yield incorrect prices.
> > >
> > >For example, entering 474.228 shares and a Buy amount of 11153.85, I
> > >see a
> > >Price field that reads "1101/79038".
> > >
> > >Any hints on what's up?
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Dean
> > >Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> > >You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

David Carlson