[GNC] QIF Import troubles

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 13:09:33 EST 2022

Hi Steve,

As Michael suggested, it is best to start with baby steps to learn how to
get good results with the import process.  If you import more than one
account at a time you risk getting duplicates if both accounts in a
transaction are in the same import.  There is a step in the import process
that attempts to detect this but it must work on one transaction at a time.

Good luck.

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 7:17 PM Fross, Michael <michael at fross.org> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
> I was in the same situation when I first started about 7 years ago.  Read
> through the guide.  It's really well written, easy to read, and answers a
> lot of questions.
>
> As for the imports, do some tests until you get comfortable.  I would just
> export your checking account, then import that.  Figure out that
> categories are now other accounts and instead of assigning a transaction to
> a category for reporting, you debit one account and credit another.
> Understand splits and you'll be set.  It's also a great time to really
> think through your account strategy.
>
> It's really not hard, but read through the guide and you'll get it.
>
> Michael
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 6:52 PM Steve Butler <stephen.m.butler51 at gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > That is the classic double entry bookkeeping system that GnuCash uses.
> >
> > If you don't want that you need to use some other software.
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 13, 2022, 16:35 Steve Silva via gnucash-user <
> > gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > > I am trying out gnucash to replace Quicken.  I have Quicken convert my
> > > accounts into a QIF file and import that to gnucash.  The whole process
> > > seems to go well until I see the result.  It seems like all or most of
> > the
> > > register entries are duplicated, each with a debit and credit of the
> same
> > > amount.  I have tried various permutations of exporting and importing
> but
> > > these split transactions keeps showing up.  Is there someone who has
> seen
> > > this issue and figured out a way around it?
> > > Thanks, Steve

David Carlson