[GNC] Importing Transactions from CSV

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Wed Dec 14 21:36:04 EST 2022

On 2022-12-14 18:15, M wrote:

> My credit card company... only offer the transactions in CSV format.
>
> The issue I have is they list both deposits and withdrawals in the
> same "Amount" column.  They signify deposits as negative amounts, and
> withdrawals as positive amounts.
>
> As far as I can tell, Gnucash only allows imports of a "Withdrawals"
> or "Deposits" column type when importing transactions in CSV format.
> Is this correct?

Yes, but I believe (having not tried this recently) that Gnucash accepts
negative amounts, as well as positive, in either column. When GnuCash
finds a negative amount in a "Withdrawls" column, it makes the number
positive and moves it to the "Deposits" column; and vice versa.

I suspect that if you assign the "Amount" column of your credit card
company's CSV file to the withdrawls column of GnuCash's credit card
account, then the correct numbers will end up in your GnuCash book. But
try this experimentally before you commit to it. I have not tested this
myself before writing this reply.

Best regards,
     —Jim DeLaHunt