[GNC] Debug information to sort out Finance::Quote issue on macOS Ventura

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Dec 16 12:31:49 EST 2022

> On Dec 15, 2022, at 4:37 PM, Vincent Lucarelli <vincent.lucarelli at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I upgraded to macOS Ventura and am having trouble getting Finance::Quote to work.
>
> gnc-fq-dump is working in the terminal (see shell output below), but in GnuCash I get the error “There was a system error while retrieving the price quotes.”
>
> Is there some way to get debugging output from the GnuCash app so I can see what call is being made and what error is occurring?

If you're trying to use iexcloud in GnuCash and you have an Intel mac then the problem is most likely that iexcloud key. GnuCash doesn't read the environment set in the shell's .*profile so you'll have to add it as an environment variable to the environment file, see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations#File_environment.local.

There's another problem with newer F::Q modules requiring an api key: Many of them don't have an associated environment variable and expect the api_key to be passed as a parameter and Finance::Quote doesn't expose any way to discover whether a module requires a key making it rather difficult for GnuCash to support them.

Regards,
John Ralls