[GNC] New PC

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 17:37:26 EST 2022

On 12/16/2022 3:00 PM, David Cousens wrote:
> The user preference data is stored in the locations defined as USER_CONFIG_HOME
> in the following wiki page. The page also details all of the places that data
> about GnuCash configuration and what type of data is stored in those specific
> locations is stored on the 3 operating systems.
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Configuration_Locations
> There are a set of links to diagrammatic forms of this information on the 3
> operating systems about a third of the way down the page. It is possible that
> more informaton has been added since I constructed those a couple of years ago
> as they resulted from my efforts to get the information in that page into a more
> easily digestible form.
> The location of the GnuCash data file containing the sets of  books can be
> anywhere the user chooses in their home directoty/folder.

Very useful if you want to know which specific one does what.

But the "picture" wanted for backing up (or moving to a different
machine) is different *IF* there exists one or two directories that
contain all of them.

To give an example from another (unrelated) application:  Take the
browser FireFox. In THIS case(in Windows) all will be within a directory
named Mozilla in the appdata directory. So if you were moving to a new
computer you could just replace that directory in the new computer
(created when you installed/opened first time FireFox) with the one form
your old computer. Or for your back-ups, that is the directory you want
to copy. So ......

Is there one directory (or a small set of directories) that contain all
that is needed for gnucash? And nothing else. THAT is the "view" wanted
for both back-up and moving to another computer. And if there is not a
small subset, if they are "scattered", then that perhaps should be fixed.

Michael D Novack