[GNC] Splitting a Transaction (Newbie Question)

p.f.cuthbert@btinternet.com p.f.cuthbert@btinternet.com p.f.cuthbert at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 17 17:19:24 EST 2022

Hi

Having today transferred all my data from Quicken to GNUCash I am just
trying to understand how it works.  Entering single data items is easy,
but the difficulty I have hit is with payments that require multiple
debits (ie. a split payment)  The User Guides that I found today uses an
income example that I did not find at all helpful despite several
readings.

So let us have an example:

Payment by bank card (credit entry to Bank Account) of £7.24 comprising
a book (debit £5.25 to Entertainment) and some milk (debit £1.99 to
Groceries).

The process in Quicken would be credit bank £7.24, then for the
'Category' choose Split and fill in the details tabbing down to the next
line and choosing catergory and amount until the balance unallocated
drops to zero.  Finally save transaction by pressing Return.

The process in GNUCash seems to start the same.  Credit bank £7.24, then
choose Split.  The yellow analysis lines come up, but for me the debit
(Deposit) column comes up £16.74, which is the last Groceries posting.
This is because I put the store name in as the descriptor for the
transaction but the last one was not split. I put in the correct account
Entertainment and then delete the £16.74 and enter £5.25. Next I tab
down to the next line.  I enter some description like Milk, then select
the Account Groceries, tab to the next column and enter £1.99.  At this
point the total Credit of £7.24 is still in place.

At this point things look good.  So what does one do next? Press Return
seems like a safe bet.  However it is far from it.  All that happens is
that the whole transaction disappears.  The alternative, using another
Tab is almost as bad.  The £1.99 debit in Groceries is now replaced by a
£5.25 credit and the £7.24 credit from the bank has disappeared.  Ok, it
makes the books appear to balance since double entry is maintained but
the whole process seem astonishingly random.

If any kind reader can advise on the correct way yo handle this simple
task I would be most grateful as I do simple domestic accounting but
have lots of split debit analysis.

Regards

Pete

Dr Peter Cuthbert