[GNC] Splitting a Transaction (Newbie Question)

Vincent Dawans dawansv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 18:01:32 EST 2022

Based on your description, I can see that you understand the concept but
run into some peculiarities of the user interface.

One is the transaction autotill or autocomplete (not sure what the official
name is). I assume you start with a new transaction in your checking
account and as you seem to describe when you type the name of the Grocery
store and press tab then it will fill the transfer account and amount with
the previous transaction for that grocery store. When you combine that with
opening the split instead of changing the amount in the main line then it
can arguably get a bit confusing because only half of the split is updated
and the old amount is still partially there.

One way to get a better, less confusing start would be to avoid triggering
the autocomplete. Later when you are used to the interface it will matter
less because you'll know how to update the split. But right now try this:
after entering the Store name, do not TAB but instead click with your mouse
on the transfer column. That way you are not triggering the autocomplete
that copies the previous transaction with that store name. Then don't enter
account and amount yet. Just click on the split button at this point, and
it will open the split lines with only the bank account showing. On that
line with the bank account, go and put the 7.24 in credit. When you tab it
will automatically put 7.24 in debit on the next line. After you pick
entertainment as the account then you will have to change that second 7.24
to 5.25. Tab again a couple times to go to the next line and you'll see it
will fill 1.99 for you to show you that's the amount still unallocated, and
on that line you can pick groceries for the account. Then press enter a
couple times and you should be set.