[GNC] Splitting a Transaction (Newbie Question)

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 18:04:15 EST 2022

> At this point things look good.  So what does one do next? Press
> Return seems like a safe bet.  However it is far from it.  All that
> happens is that the whole transaction disappears.  The alternative,
> using another Tab is almost as bad.  The £1.99 debit in Groceries is
> now replaced by a £5.25 credit and the £7.24 credit from the bank has
> disappeared.  Ok, it makes the books appear to balance since double
> entry is maintained but the whole process seem astonishingly random.
>
> If any kind reader can advise on the correct way yo handle this simple
> task I would be most grateful as I do simple domestic accounting but
> have lots of split debit analysis.

You might have completed the split (depends on what you meant by "whole
thing disappeared").

Some background might help. In the old days of double entry (before
computer apps to shortcut bits) a transaction was FIRST entered into a
book called a "journal" and later each line of the journal entry was
ported to the ledger (in the account on that line). Here gnucash is
letting you skip entering into the journal (has a "virtual journal") for
simple transactions affecting just two accounts. But when you enter a
split, you are in "journal mode".

I think what you meant by "disappeared" is that the journal view
disappeared and you were back in the account view in which you started
(but something about what you see there indicates the transaction was a
split). You could go to one of the other accounts affected (or all of
the other accounts) to see if what appears there is right. If so, all done.

Michael D Novack