[GNC] Splitting a Transaction (Newbie Question)

p.f.cuthbert@btinternet.com p.f.cuthbert@btinternet.com p.f.cuthbert at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 18 06:09:18 EST 2022

Good Morning from a very wet and windy Wales

Thank you all very much for your helpful comments.

Thank you also Michael for reminding me about the 'Journal'.  As a fresh
faced Articled Clerk in the early 1970s we came across a small number of
firms that still had hand written leather bound Journals.  Naturally we
ACs were not at all surprised as that is what was written about in the
text books we had to read. Of course, many of the smaller clients had no
books at all and would just give us a big cardboard box full of
invoices, cheque book stubs, empty fag packets and a few bank statements
which we were supposed to turn into a set of accounts.  The more
financially aware small businesses used the analysed cash book system.

As I understand it Quicken. up to and including the Millenium Edition
(which is what I am finally going to abandon), had the analysed cash
book (actually bank book) as its conceptual model.  That made a great
deal of sense given the marketing thrust for the product.  I am very
happy with that model and am assuming that I can run GNUCash like that
with the bank account as the central player.

By the term Bank Card payment I meant Debit Card which here in the UK
seems to be the major form of payment since the Covid Pandemic. I
certainly have not used Bank of England cash for more than two years.
The impact on Quicken has been that more transactions have been recorded
every month as every card slip gets entered.  Previously one would
withdraw cash (one entry) and then spend that cash on the myriad small
transactions of life which were not recorded.

Credit card transactions were included by treating the monthly statement
as 'card slip'.  Thus every listed purchase is a debit in the
appropriate account and the total bill amount is the credit in the Bank.
So you can see why I am interested in Split Transactions.

Investigation this morning has established:
    * The system is set up in Basic Ledger Mode
    * The test transactions were entered in the Bank Account
    * The Bank Account shows no record of the test transactions
    * The debits have appeared in the named expense accounts as you have
forecast
    * A new account has appeared called 'Imbalance-GBP' that contains
the correct (and incorrect credits) that I would have expected in the
Bank Account.

This leads me to a new question.  Is the 'Bank Account' a reserved name
which I must use for my bank account to make it work?  It is not called
that currently.  In Quicken one had to allocate a type to accounts which
included bank account, savings account, investment, etc.  I had assumed
that these may have carried across in the QIF file but perhaps not.  I
have just looked at the bank account settings in 'Edit Account' and see
that it is labelled as a Bank account. So there must be something else I
am not doing which makes GNUCash think that a payment in the Bank
Account is not meant to be there.

Many thanks for all the help.

Regards

Pete