[GNC] Splitting a Transaction (Newbie Question)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Dec 18 14:15:41 EST 2022

On 12/18/22 5:09 AM, p.f.cuthbert at btinternet.com p.f.cuthbert--- via
gnucash-user wrote:
> Investigation this morning has established:
>     * The system is set up in Basic Ledger Mode
>     * The test transactions were entered in the Bank Account
>     * The Bank Account shows no record of the test transactions
>     * The debits have appeared in the named expense accounts as you have
> forecast
>     * A new account has appeared called 'Imbalance-GBP' that contains
> the correct (and incorrect credits) that I would have expected in the
> Bank Account.
Ah ha. Indeed, the transactions did not disappear, but are no longer
anchored to the Bank Account.

The Imbalance-xxx accounts (one for each currency may be created from
time to time) are created by GnuCash when you leave a transaction entry
unbalanced.

I'm not certain of the exact keyboard mechanics you used to cause this,
but the solution is simple.

First, while you're getting started, turn on View > Transaction Journal.
This will show all splits at all times. Once you get the hang of
entering transactions, you can switch back to Basic View if preferred.

(You might also consider turning on View > Double Line which will give
you an extra line for transactions level notes.)

When you are in Basic View, you do not need to enter the split *for the
account you are in*, you only need to enter the split for the 'other'
account.

GnuCash auto-creates a split for the opened account, in this case your
Bank Account.

You can check this by entering a simple transaction in Basic View, and
then turning on Transaction Journal.

But in Transaction Journal mode, while that 'home' split is
auto-created, it does not contain an amount yet. You have to enter it.

Just be sure, before you exit a transaction that every split has an
amount and that there is no hanging amount on a split line without an
account assigned. (this tells you, you aren't yet balanced) If you
commit at this point, GnuCash will assign that leftover amount to one of
the Imbalance accounts. (GBP in your case)

Transactions are anchored to accounts based on their splits. If you
'lose' a transaction, that is because it somehow became un-anchored to
the register you are viewing, either by deleting the anchoring split
(there are warnings for this), by changing the account assignment of the
anchoring split (no warning) or by erasing or leaving blank the amount
for the anchoring split. (no warning)

If you need to re-anchor a transaction, simply change the Imbalance-GBP
account assignment to the proper account.

> This leads me to a new question.  Is the 'Bank Account' a reserved name
> which I must use for my bank account to make it work?  It is not called
> that currently.  In Quicken one had to allocate a type to accounts which
> included bank account, savings account, investment, etc.  I had assumed
> that these may have carried across in the QIF file but perhaps not.  I
> have just looked at the bank account settings in 'Edit Account' and see
> that it is labelled as a Bank account. So there must be something else I
> am not doing which makes GNUCash think that a payment in the Bank
> Account is not meant to be there.

Nothing reserved on the name. It can also be just a generic asset
account. I think with type Bank there are other functions enabled
though. (online banking?) The Type also affects the 'friendly' column
names, but if you are using formal labels Debit & Credit, that of course
doesn't matter.

Regards,
Adrien