[GNC] Is there a way to find date & time a transaction was entered?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 05:09:26 EST 2022

On Mon, 19 Dec 2022 at 03:48, David Cousens <davidcousens49 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There is no problem with deleting a transaction in GnuCash. The formal
> accounting method is basically a hangover when rubbing an entry out in a
> pen and
> paper book created a fairly ugly mess (and made it exceedingly obvious
> that the
> books had been altered) and left no trail as to why the changes were made.

Yes, I can see the logic. I am gland GnuCash does not force this too
rigidly.

This is easy for non business feature transaction. Just select the
> transaction
> in the register then select Transaction->Delete from the menu.

I am using the business features, although I can’t recall if the
troublesome transaction does or not.

Where transactions are created using the business features it is a little
> more
> complicated. Payments to invoices are linked to the invoice so you would
> need to
> delete the payment transactions first,and unpost the invoice and then
> delete the
> information content (customer,details and amount etc).

Thank you. Luckily one can make backups in software, and making an error
doesn’t cost much. It’s a bit different if one is a medic, which I am not.
😂😂

An invoice or bill cannot
> be deleted from the system, once created it will always exist,  but an
> existing
> uposted invoice from which the information has been deleted can be reused
> by
> refilling in the new information and then reposting it.

The normal order for paying an invoice would be
1) Enter the invoice details
2) Post the invoice
3) Pay the invoice

So is the order to erase this lot out the following?

1) Unpost the invoice
2) Edit the invoice in such a way that it reflects another transaction.
3) Post that new invoice
4) Pay the new invoice

David Cousens

Dave

> --
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom