[GNC] Rounding discrepancy in payment processing

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Dec 19 13:32:16 EST 2022

On 12/19/22 8:29 AM, Alaa Zeineldine wrote:
> When I receive payment for an invoice amount that is not a whole number,
> (say $140.16), the Process Payment window rounds the fraction part of the
> amount. In this case the invoice value will show as $140.00. But the payment
> I receive is the exact amount.

I just read over this a bit more carefully. Are you saying that *in the
process payment window* it appears GnuCash is 'rounding' the currently
due invoice?

I'll hazard that I don't think it is.

I suspect, sometime in the past, you had an over-payment or pre-payment
of fractional currency. That got applied to an invoice which happened to
make it appear as rounded next time you went to process payment.

Although the 'fractional' parts would have shifted over time and rarely
ended up 'whole units' again, I'd say you've carried this through for
many months now since you mention using 4.6. (fixable, but it will be
slow and tedious) Depending on how long you think it has been rounding,
it could be years.

> Until GC V4.6, I used to enter the correct amount in the payment field
> (140.16 here). GC seemed to handle this internally somehow and my books
> would appear balanced. Also, the A/R Aging report would show no outstanding
> balance for that customer.

I'm still a bit confused here. It balanced—not a matter of 'internally'
or not. If an invoice was for 140.16, and you processed a payment for
140.16, then that cleared the invoice. (also note, your books can be in
balance, with invoices either not fully or over-paid)

> When I decided to upgrade to V4.8, the A/R Aging report showed many
> prepayments that did not actually exist in reality. These seemed to
> correspond to the fractional difference between the actual entered payment
> and the invoice amount after rounding for all previously settled invoices
> whose amounts were not whole numbers.

I don't recall exactly, but the report was improved to display
pre-payments where before it did not. It could have been the 4.7–4.8
time frame.

I still don't understand where you are getting this 'invoice amount
after rounding' part. GnuCash isn't supposed to be rounding invoices,
and if it did, I'd think many more of us would have seen this by now.

I really suspect you've got some sort of carry-over payment problem
happening.

----

When you Process Payment, the procedure is to:

1. Look up the Customer/Vendor which produces a list of 'documents'
(Those documents can be invoices/bills, credit notes, and
pre/over-payments that are recorded in the respective AR/AP account, but
that are not linked to an invoice/bill/credit-note yet.)
3. Select the invoice/bill/credit-note you want to pay.
4. GnuCash will auto-fill the amount.
5a. If this amount is correct, continue with selecting the transfer
account, entering notes/memo, verifying the date, and committing the
payment.
5b. If this amount is not correct, change it first.
5c. If pre/over-payments exist, and you want to apply them to this
invoice/bill/credit-note, then select the payment document along with
the desired invoice/bill/credit-note so they become linked and offset,
the auto-filled amount will be reduced accordingly.

-----

If you indeed have a long-standing carry-over payment issue, we can walk
you through the tedious steps to fix it, but lets verify that first.

Regards,
Adrien