[GNC] How can I find cost of expenses, including tax?

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 19:46:14 EST 2022

My company is not registered for VAT (tax), but I probably have to pay 20%
VAX (tax) on 75% of the items I buy.

I have the following accounts

Expenses
Expenses -> Stock
Expenses > Office supplies

I can not see how I can determine how much I have spent on stock,
*including* the TAX.

The account Expenses is a placeholder account, but I see that all the VAT
goes in there. So

Expenses -> Stock

has two sorts of transactions in it

1) Items where no tax has been paid
2) The price of items excluding the tax

which seems a bit of a muddle. That’s 100% of the cost of some items, but
80% of the cost of the others.

I can not find the cost (including the tax) from adding up

Expenses
and
Expenses -> Stock

because Expenses will contain the tax paid on Office supplies too.

At the end of the year my accountant will want to know how much I have
spent on stock, but I can’t see a way of exporting the transactions so that
the file contains that information. My accountant would

Expenses -> Stock

but only some things from the placeholder account

Expenses.

I assume that there is a way out of this problem.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom