[GNC] How can I find cost of expenses, including tax?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Dec 20 04:43:23 EST 2022

Morning Dave.

I think the answer to this depends on the question "are you planning to
register for VAT?", and also falls squarely in the category of "ask your
accountant for his opinion on how to do this"

If you are planning to register, then you might as well start your books with
that goal in mind and have the appropriate VAT collection accounts in your
tree from day 1.  If you are registered for VAT then the vat charged is not
part of the cost of stock, but is technically an asset (government will pay it
back (eventually and if you have no vatable income in a 1/4 )).

If you are not registering, then either:

you don't record the VAT portion independently of the stock, and it just costs
20% "more"  ( i think this is what your accountant will say)

Or, you record the VAT split to a separate expense account to track it - then
you have 3 expense accounts - stock, office and VAT_Paid... and no easy way to
deduce what you paid for stock+VAT....which  seems to me to be where you
are.... as such it wont matter for the annual accounts and tax return, at the
simple level for a non-vat reg entity you are pretty much reporting 2 numbers
(income and expense); the actual detailed breakdown of the expense is not
exposed to anyone except you and your accountant.

Conceptually I think you are mixing two models: either the cost of VAT is the
cost of VAT and the cost of stock is net, or the cost of stock is gross and
you have no cost of VAT.... you can't really mix the 2 models and expect
accurate or easy answers....

You *could* mirror your expenses tree into a VAT branch too...
Expenses:
    Stock
    Office
    VAT
        Stock
        Office
etc.
but that seems like pain for little gain!

HTH,
Maf.