[GNC] QIF Import troubles

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 22:55:27 EST 2022

On Wed, 14 Dec 2022 at 22:26, Steve Silva via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

>  Hi All,
> Thanks a lot for your input.  Based on your observations, I really don't
> think I am going to make gnucash work for me, I have nearly 30 years worth
> of QIF data files and it seems like this odd double entry method is
> something I can't control, nor can I go back through 30 years of data and
> try to correct it.  Trying to get away from quicken sure is a chore and I
> am not going to pay for their program every year.  I appreciated your time.
> Steve

I havé never used Quicken, but was previously using a spreadsheet. The
double entry does take a bit of getting used to - for example, if you
credit the bank account, the amount of money decreases. It seems a bit
counterintuitive, but the concepts are explained well in the manual.

I have really only been using GnuCash seriously in the last week or so, but
had looked before.

But the double entry really does reduce the chances of errors.  As someone
else said, it’s the system all professional accountants use.

I have records going back 8 years, not 30 years, but I am certainly not
going to bother entering them all - I am just starting from March this
year, which is the start of my financial year.

If your closing balance in Quicken is $1000, then make that your opening
balance in GnuCash. But as Liz said, nobody is forcing you to use GnuCash.

Dave

--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,
drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
https://www.kirkbymicrowave.co.uk/
Telephone 01621-680100./ +44 1621 680100

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United
Kingdom