[GNC] QIF Import troubles

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Dec 19 23:28:51 EST 2022

Not counterintuitive at all, but rather a matter of perspective.

You might be familiar with a bank 'crediting your account' which
increases its balance.

Now, you wonder why in your own books, crediting your bank account
decreases the balance.

That is because from the Bank's perspective, your account with them is
their Liability. They owe you the money. To increase a Liability, you
Credit it, to decrease, you Debit it. (also why when the bank 'debits'
your account *in their books* the balance decreases)

But in your books, your account with the Bank is your asset. It is
something you own. (even though in possession of another) To increase an
Asset, you Debit it, and to decrease it, you Credit it.

Both of these are consistent, but opposite perspectives based on whose
books you are talking about.

Both perspectives fully satisfy the Accounting Equation:

Assets = Liabilities + Equity

'Equity' (previous Equity known as 'Retained Earnings') has some
temporary accounts you may be familiar with:

Equity = Retained Earnings + Income - Expenses

subbing in those terms, you get:

Assets = Liabilities + Retained Earnings + Income - Expenses

If you move Expenses to the left side, so all operations are positive,
you get the expanded equation containing the 5 Top Level accounts:

Assets + Expenses = Liabilities + Retained Earnings + Income

or

Assets + Expenses = Liabilities + Equity('previous') + Income

The left side is debited to increase and credited to decrease.
The right side is credited to increase and debited to decrease.

If the left side increases, so must the right and vice versa, and the
reverse.

Debits = Credits

Debit = Left Column
Credit = Right Column

It is quite intuitive, and a bit elegant.

Regards,
Adrien