[GNC] Best practice to change name of GnuCash file ("book")?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Tue Dec 20 11:48:33 EST 2022

On 12/20/2022 10:22 AM, Eric Chapman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I named my file incorrectly. I guess in GnuCash the data file is
> called a "book". I'm using .xml.
>
> Should I export and import with a new name (as discussed here in issue
> tracker: https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android/issues/634)?

1) You do NOT have to anything so complicated to rename a file. Just do
a file rename.

2) The file extension has to be correct ONLY if you intend to "click on
object and expect the computer to select the application associated with
objects of that type".

3) After renaming the file, gnucash will not know how to find it until
you :"tell" gnucash the nae. In other words, you start gnucash and use
file=>open and enter the path/name of the file as renamed (and possibly
relocated)

Michael D Novack