[GNC] Best practice to change name of GnuCash file ("book")?

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 20 16:10:59 EST 2022

On 2022-12-20 08:48, Michael Novack wrote:
> On 12/20/2022 10:22 AM, Eric Chapman wrote:
>> I named my file incorrectly. I guess in GnuCash the data file is
>> called a "book". I'm using .xml.
>>
>> Should I export and import with a new name (as discussed here in issue
>> tracker: https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android/issues/634)?
>
> 1) You do NOT have to anything so complicated to rename a file. Just do
> a file rename.

I agree wholeheartedly.

> 2) The file extension has to be correct ONLY if you intend to "click on
> object and expect the computer to select the application associated with
> objects of that type".

Maybe you missed a later email where the OP disclosed that this is a
Mac. From what people have posted here, on a Mac you cannot just
double-click a file and expect GnuCash to open it, as you can on Windows.

> 3) After renaming the file, gnucash will not know how to find it until
> you :"tell" gnucash the nae. In other words, you start gnucash and use
> file=>open and enter the path/name of the file as renamed (and possibly
> relocated)

Right. And this may be a good time to tell the OP that GnuCash remembers
the most-recently-used file, and the next time GnuCash is opened it
opens that file automatically, or attempts to.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com