[GNC] Is it safe to use Greek, Chinese etc characters

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Dec 21 21:09:03 EST 2022

Yes, it's completely safe on Linux and macOS and mostly safe on MSWindows. Just make sure that the characters are encoded in UTF-8. Web pages generally are, but other Windows applications use UTF-16 and pasting into GnuCash will not produce the desiredresult. Windows CMD and Powershell are pretty firmly stuck in the 1990s and unless you perform some special contortions encode non-ASCII characters using DOS code-pages. Don't try to paste from them into GnuCash.

GnuCash fully supports Unicode via UTF-8 and we have lots of users around the world who use a variety of writing systems.

Regards,
John Ralls