[GNC] Is it safe to use Greek, Chinese etc characters

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Thu Dec 22 10:09:36 EST 2022

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 02:09, john <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> Yes, it's completely safe on Linux and macOS and mostly safe on MSWindows.
> Just make sure that the characters are encoded in UTF-8. Web pages
> generally are, but other Windows applications use UTF-16 and pasting into
> GnuCash will not produce the desiredresult. Windows CMD and Powershell are
> pretty firmly stuck in the 1990s and unless you perform some special
> contortions encode non-ASCII characters using DOS code-pages. Don't try to
> paste from them into GnuCash.

I'm unlikely to know how a particular web server is configured. But I'll
probably be doing most of this on Linux anyway.

GnuCash fully supports Unicode via UTF-8 and we have lots of users around
> the world who use a variety of writing systems.

Okay, I will leave the Greek characters when I see them.  It looks a bit
nicer if I send a customer an invoice with the Greek omega symbol, rather
than write ohm. (The electrical resistance of something is expressed in
ohms, and denoted by a lowercase omega.)

Regards,
> John Ralls

Dave