[GNC] Is it safe to use Greek, Chinese etc characters

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Dec 22 11:58:46 EST 2022

On Thursday, 22 December 2022 15:09:36 GMT Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> Okay, I will leave the Greek characters when I see them.  It looks a bit
> nicer if I send a customer an invoice with the Greek omega symbol, rather
> than write ohm. (The electrical resistance of something is expressed in
> ohms, and denoted by a lowercase omega.)

Hmm.  You could always do what the electronics mags of the 70s and 80s did and
use R rather than Omega for ohms.... so a 68 ohm resistor would be in the
parts list as 68R or a 1000 ohm would read as 1k or 1kR... just a thought!

PS, I thought that Ohms was capital Omega, and lower case omega (looking a
little like a curvy w) was to do with frequencies in resonant circuits or
angular / rotational mechanics  (there's a 2 -Pi-f ringing a distant bell in
my brain)?  But that learning is very dusty now, and this is certainly off
topic for a GC list!

Maf.