[GNC] Settings not respected

Jeff jffry at posteo.net
Mon Dec 26 04:06:00 EST 2022

Hi John,

On 24/12/2022 22:39, john wrote:
> The prefs are managed by dconf and I think on Linux it needs a dbus daemon running. The latter's logs go in /var/log/daemon.log; I'd expect the GLib gconf frontend errors to show up in the trace file.

Weirdly, /var/log/daemon.log only has entries between 30th Oct and 04
Nov, so I assume the logs are landing somewhere else.

What do you mean by the gconf trace file? I don't see anything related
to settings if I start gnucash with:

gnucash --debug --extra

> Don't hope, test. Try restoring from backup. Since you're on a frequently changing distro you should do that fairly often.

I use rsnapshot with hourly/daily/weekly/monthly snapshots. I've just
compared GNC_USERDATA_DIR and GNC_USERCONFIG_DIR with old versions and I
don't significant changes to the contents.

> GnuCash does indeed use Gtk3, but even if you'd installed the dev package for that it wouldn't change anything. It's probably too soon for testing to have upgraded to Gtk 3.24.36 as it was released last Thursday. 3.24.35 was released Nov. 4 so that's probably been on your system for a month. It doesn't have anything to do with preferences anyway except to draw the Preferences dialog. GLib is the Gnome library that provides the preferences, but it's not likely to have updated yesterday either because 2.75.1 released on Wednesday and 2.75.0 released on Nov. 10.

I just reinstalled gnucash and gnucash-common, but unsurprisingly, it
has changed nothing.

I'd be grateful for any other insights.

Regards

Jeff