[GNC] Settings not respected

john jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Dec 26 12:21:23 EST 2022

> On Dec 26, 2022, at 1:06 AM, Jeff <jffry at posteo.net> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> On 24/12/2022 22:39, john wrote:
>> The prefs are managed by dconf and I think on Linux it needs a dbus daemon running. The latter's logs go in /var/log/daemon.log; I'd expect the GLib gconf frontend errors to show up in the trace file.
>
> Weirdly, /var/log/daemon.log only has entries between 30th Oct and 04 Nov, so I assume the logs are landing somewhere else.

That is weird and worthy of investigation.

You can make sure that you have a dbus-daemon running with `ps -A | grep dbus-daemon`. But the Gsettings docs claim that dbus-daemon doen't need to be running for reads, only for writes.

> What do you mean by the gconf trace file? I don't see anything related to settings if I start gnucash with:
>
> gnucash --debug --extra

Not the gconf tracefile, the GnuCash trace file: All Gnome logging in the GnuCash process gets routed there. But I was completely wrong about GConf, that's the very obsolete predecessor to GSettings. I just looked through the GSettings code and it appears to use a plain keyfile backend that gets the path to the keyfile from Dconf, though it's not clear to me

> gsettings list-recursively org.gnucash.general

org.gnucash.general is obsolete. We changed the preferences domain from org.gnucash to org.gnucash.GnuCash in 4.8 to accommodate flatpak, which insists on the three-level domain name. If you're using the Debian Testing installed GnuCash you should have GnuCash 4.12.

> date-format 1
>
> Does that mean ISO?

No. 1 is UK. ISO is 3.

> I use rsnapshot with hourly/daily/weekly/monthly snapshots. I've just compared GNC_USERDATA_DIR and GNC_USERCONFIG_DIR with old versions and I don't significant changes to the contents.

Dconf data isn't stored in either of those, it's in $XDG_CONFIG_DIR/dconf. See https://www.systutorials.com/docs/linux/man/7-dconf/ for the gory details about how the system works.

Regards,
John Ralls