[GNC] Feature request - prevent a transaction with todays date

Stan Brown the_stan_brown at fastmail.fm
Tue Dec 27 11:43:53 EST 2022

On 2022-12-26 16:27, David Carlson wrote:
> When entering more than one transaction in a session,  new transactions
> default to the same date last used, so the existing shortcuts metioned in a
> previous comment often work.

I think that should be "new transactions default to the same date last
used _in_the_same_register_ in that session." At least that's been my
experience with 2.6.19, though it could have changed in later GC versions.

> If it happens that you are editing multiple historical transactions,  they> are likely close together as well.

And there is also the option to run a Ctrl+F query, then make any needed
edits right in the results register. That's a "live" register like any
other, not a static read-only view into the database.

> If I had that sort of switch,  I would be forgetting to reset it when done.

I agree wholeheartedly. Such an "switch" sounds to me like a classic
case of bloating the product with a feature of _very_ limited applicability.

A related feature I _would_ like to see is the ability to specify a date
range within which no new transactions could be entered. I would use
that to prevent myself from unintentionally changing transactions from
prior years. The existing mechanism, where the only form of date range
is N days before today, doesn't seem very helpful to me, since I have to
change the value of N every day.

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com