[GNC] How to generate Budget V Actual Report for Profit and Loss

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Wed Dec 28 16:05:59 EST 2022

On 12/28/22 5:38 AM, David Long wrote:
> Thanks Adrien for your reply.  I have also been trying to produce a report
> showing this year's P&L compared with previous. I tried the multi column
> reports, but the descriptions repeat and the rows do not line up.
>
> Reporting Actual V Budget and prior years is pretty standard in an
> accounting system, and whilst I love GnuCash, it's an area not covered well.

The report you are looking for is in Reports > Experimental > Income
Statement (multicolumn)

In Options > General, set:

*Period duration > One Year

*Start Date > first day of first year in report, e.g.—1/1/21

*Last Date > last day of last year in report, e.g.—12/31/22

You can control the order of the columns with:

*"Period order is most recent first"

You can also get a combined overall column and a bar chart. (the chart
doesn't yet show up on the report, but as a link to the chart near the top)

Sadly, there is no variance column option here. You still need to export
to a spreadsheet to make one manually.

> Should I be asking for an enhancement?

It can't hurt, but don't expect action on any timetable. At the least,
requesting a variance column for this particular report I think would be
useful to see over/under vs. previous period(s).

Regards,
Adrien