[GNC] Changing registers in the middle of entering or editing a transaction

Stephen M. Butler Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 17:46:18 EST 2022

On 12/28/22 14:05, Stan Brown wrote:
> It's a bit irritating to be told that something is preventing save, but
> not told what that something is. (Reminds me of the story, hopefully
> apocryphal, of a C compiler that had only one error message, "Syntax
> Error", with no indication of where.)

Saw that multiple times on a Mod 1 MSR COBOL compiler on a Honeywell 115.

My wife was doing data entry at the time and saved my butt on a number
of occasions (my programs where keyed onto cards from a coding sheet).
"Is this supposed to be a period here?"

"Nope.  Just a defect in the coding sheet paper."

"I thought so but Carla punched a period there.  I'll fix it."

Still love that woman.  48 years tomorrow!

PS.  Had a student once ask what was "Syntax".  Told her it was the tax
the government applied for her sins!

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com