[GNC] Scrubbing workflow

Geoff cleanoutmyshed at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 21:04:47 EST 2022

Hi Tim

Lot scrubbing has nothing to do with internationali[sz]ation.  It is
just one possible method** to match your buys and sells for a particular
stock account and thus calculate your gains and losses.

Each sale transaction is applied consecutively to each buy transaction,
and the capital gain (or loss) on each such match is calculated and
stored as a separate transaction in the stock account.

Note that scrubbing works on a "FIFO" basis (first in , first out) which
may or may not be what you want to do.

If you have three stock accounts, you will have to scrub each of them
separately.  There is no "easier way".

Note that the process is completely reversible - you can manually delete
the capital gain/loss transactions and start over.

You don't have to remember which sales have been scrubbed, the scrubbing
process will just pick up any unapplied sales next time you run it.

**The other method is to manually match your sales to your buys one lot
at a time.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Geoff